Sunday, May 27, 2007

Dolphin Swim and First Pix

We did our dolphin swim this morning and it was amazing. There were a lot of dolphins out and we were able to get very close to them, closer than the previous times I've done the swim.. It's just very cool to be in the water, making eye contact with a wild dolphin!

I took this picture, which shows a swimmer in the water and a dolphin frolicking just behind. And here we are on the boat just after the swim:

Since we found a good internet cafe, here's a few more photos:

This is us at the pass overlooking Doubtful Sound. It's a pretty cool spot, there is a lake that's about 150 meters of altitude, and a road over a mountain pass that about six miles later hits Doubtful Sound (which is actully a fjord). We took a day's tour. The rain prevented us from seeing the mountaintops but the waterfalls were amazing. I was wearing my very fashionable bright yellow raincoat, which won't win

This is me at the terminal face of Fox Glacier.. note the warning sign behind me.


Here's a yellow eyed penguin coming out of the ocean, taken at the bottom of the South Island in the Catlins.And finally, a self-portrait of us sitting in the car..
We're having fun and these are highlight pictures.. we've taken many more. Hope all is well with you back home!

-bob

1 comment:

Rainy said...

Hi guys! The pics are awesome! I am envious, first seeing the yellowed eyed penquin up close and personal, but also swimming with the wild dolphins! My two favorite things...Penquins and Dolphins...Can't wait to see all the pictures...but I guess I will have to! I would have been in 7th heaven! I noticed you had coats on when you were on the boat so it must have been cool....Did you use wet suits to swim in?

You look like you're having a ball. Learning how to live on a tight budget isn't a bad thing...think of the discipline training you'll have when you get back and get your own home!

I love being able to follow you around like this...it is a close to being with you as we can get! The area you're in is beautiful and looks peaceful. Tell me did you ever bungee jump? I copied a couple of the pics to use in my contemporary service...

All good here...samo, samo though. Weather is real nice now too...Typical NE weather...last weekend I had to put heat on as my house went down to 53 - this weekend in the 90's - no need for heat! AC maybe!

Watching for you next posting! Love you bunches and bunches!
Auntie Rainy!!